Holiday Leave


The winter holidays are fast approaching. NDU Winter Break: Dec 20-31. Below is an outline of the procedures for all holiday breaks and general travel. 

You are required to obtain travel approval if any of the following conditions apply:

  1. You are travelling farther than 250 miles from NDU. 
  2. You are travelling anywhere longer than 72 hours. 
  3. You are travelling outside the continental United States (OCONUS).

If any of the above apply to you, you will need written approval from ISMO Deputy Director Jorge Ascunce. If missing class, approval is required from your college dean of students, and appropriate instructors. Please CC ISMO on your request to be absent from class.


Additional OCONUS Travel Info


If you are travelling OCONUS, you must complete the IF Travel Request Form

  • Request leave dates and enter contact information 
  • Written approval from your home country (upload email) 
  • Approval from Dean of Students and Faculty if you are missing class 
  • Approval from ISMO Deputy Director Jorge Ascunce 
  • ITO amendment must be issued before travel 


OCONUS leave is usually only authorized for emergency or humanitarian reasons (serious family illness, funeral etc.) or during the winter holiday period.

Remote class attendance is not authorized to extend your travel unless due to emergency (border closure, positive COVID test etc.)

Bring your laptop and necessary class materials in case of unforeseen circumstances

If you plan to leave the U.S., please ensure that you and your family have valid, multi-entry U.S. visa(s) and that your visa(s) have not expired.  If you leave the U.S. with an expired visa or a single-entry visa, you will not be allowed to re-enter the U.S. 

“Leave approval memos" with DOD letterhead can be sent to you on request if your home country requires one.

If you have any questions, please let us know. NDU and ISMO will be minimally staffed during the holiday break period. In case of emergency call 202-368-9245. This number will forward to a designated staff member.